Sunday, May 22, 2011
I had missed going to church the past two Sundays. Two weeks ago, I was in DC with D#1, after her graduation, getting ready to move her home. Last week I had just repeated the process with D#2 and, quite honestly, I was beat! Since I will, once again, be driving a young person some distance this afternoon, I wanted to be sure to get to the early service at 8:00 so I could finish getting ready for that trip.
Though still a little tired from a week of re-arranging my no-longer-living-alone life, I dragged myself out of bed, did essential morning ablutions, and drove the 5 minutes to St. Paul's (not the picture above). When I arrived (a few minutes late), there was just one car in the parking lot! Thoughts ran together: "It IS Sunday, isn't it?", "Was there a picnic service today?".... and.... ultimately a chuckling voice said, "Guess they were all Raptured yesterday."
Of course, the answer was simple. I had missed an email that today was the start of our summer schedule with one service beginning at 9:30. But the timing -- and resulting coincidence -- was too good NOT to share!
Monday, May 2, 2011
Started with I Samuel and read through I Chronicles. There were a bunch of
kings and a lot of battles and thousands upon thousands of people killed in
those books. Wish I was more excited about starting with II Chronicles next
48. Watched 8 movies: (82/125)
Pushing daisies, season 2 (last season for this delightful and unique show)
How to make an American quilt
The Reader (entire cast was excellent)
Big fish (worth watching)
The Outsiders (dated, but so many and so young...)
The Invention of lying
Driving Miss Daisy (Morgan Freeman is always excellent)
Point break (two words: Patrick Swayze)
49. Read 4 books: (27/60, 21/30, 4/10)
The immortal life of Harriet Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
Broken dishes (Earlene Fowler)
The Imperfectionists (Tom Rackman)
Delectable mountains (Earlene Fowler)
69. Make a quilt for C. (nearly done; hand sewing binding)
81. Started quilt for Godson.
84. Extra contributions to church for Lenten services and to the women's
organizations that received the funds from Muhlenberg's production of
99. Updated blog with progress report (10 for 10)
101. Two additional blog posts: Reclaiming a favorite place (4/15) and
Ecclesiastes 3:1 (Part 2) (4/27)
Priorities in May: (very similar to April, alas)
6. Get back to working in basement.
12. Work on more small things around house.
17. Begin to plan plantings in front and back yards.
18. Get deck power washed and stained.
69. Finish binding C's quilt; make label, take photo, and ship.
77. Set 1 set of swap blocks into top. (needed for a wedding gift in June)
81. Finish quilt for Godson.
Looking forward to:
45. Attending D#1's college graduation on May 7.
46. Attending Godson's high school graduation on May 27.