"The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore." (NRSV)
Psalm 121, verse 8 was the first of the scripture readings, done at my front door, during the house blessing that took place on Saturday afternoon, October 16th. The service took us to each of the rooms of the house (some more than once!) and marked the activity performed there with a Bible verse or two and a short prayer, followed by all guests singing the Taize chant "Ubi caritas". The procession through the house took us from "where visitors are welcomed" to "where pets sleep" and many places in between -- including the bathroom!
The service was lovely and gave me an extra special feeling about the house, which has been our home for about six months. Both daughters came from college so they could participate in the service. Though neither one really knew what to expect (I don't think most of those present did!), both daughters told me afterwards that it was more meaningful than they'd thought it would be.
Perhaps the best part of the weekend, though, was when I said something about "our new house" and my daughter replied that it didn't feel like a "new" house, just like "our" house. I am truly blessed in many ways.
Monday, October 4, 2010
Small steps this month:
29. Get divorced -- Finalizing legal property settlement; have papers to start DIY divorce
35. Purchase stationary bike & cheap television for basement -- Bought cheap TV at local thrift shop
52. Go to shore for at least a day each summer -- Went to AC for a few hours a couple of weekends ago
65. Catch up on birthday blocks and keep caught up -- Sent last 2 for 2010 out on 9/24
66. Make baby quilt for Mr. S's daughter -- Quilted and ready to sew binding on
68. Make baby quilt for A.M.'s granddaughter -- Quilted, binding on, needs label and photo
83. Have a house blessing ceremony -- Scheduled for 10/16; printed invitations
84. Sent contribution to Habitat for Humanity
101. Write and add at least one blog post a month -- Posted 3 plus update
48 Watched movies (23/125)
Pushing daisies (TV -- season 1)
In the bedroom
Pretty in pink
My cousin Vinny
Pay it forward (a badly edited TV version; reserved DVD at library)
49 Read 1 book (5/60, 4/30, 1/10)
Nick & Nora's infinite playlist
In October, I should be able to finish the two baby quilts I've been working on and pick up some other quilting. Have to get back to basement clearing/cleaning and keep going on financial/legal paperwork.
1. ... basement -- Continued work on/in it 2. ... sort/discard -- Discarded/gave away 22 5. ... Clean & reorganize garage &...
My goal for blogging was two posts per month, plus one progress report. If I count my Day Zero list as one, I'm still behind one for Ma...
Last winter, when my company announced that our last date of existence would be April 30, 2019, I really needed something to look forward to...
A few months ago, the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer printed an article about "period poverty" , a problem for young women who c...