Sunday, January 8, 2012

A 2012 mystery [quilt]

Looks like my friend Pat beat me to posting about the mystery quilt we're doing together.  As she explained in her post, it came about because she gave me a subscription to a magazine and my first issue contained this 3-part mystery. 


Nice addition is/was the fabric choices of several magazine staffers. I also like that alternatives are given for two sizes.  Pat is making the larger version; I've chosen to do the smaller (72" x 72" so it's still practical). 


I have never done a mystery quilt (though I once agonized fifteen ways about fabric choices when I thought I was going to attend a mystery quilt retreat).  Also one of my goals is to try to be less anal-retentive controlling and to stretch outside my comfort zone.  So, I suggested to her that we do this together.   Pat's post outlines the instructions for fabric choices and shows her bright, cheery choices.  Here are mine:


While I do love paisleys, the one I chose (far left) is in not-my-usual colors.  The aqua is in my "normal" pallette, so the aqua & brown "tiles" (far right) are also predictable, but I'm not a brown person at ALL, nor do I tend toward sage-y greens.  Since those two are (based on yardage) the most prominent colors, I'm stepping out of my usual blue/purple/aqua or "bright color" boxes.   I've cut and have almost finished sewing the first units:


Looking forward to the next installment in the upcoming issue! 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooo! I like it. Very different for you, and quite nice! Can't wait to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete

Progress report: Month 6 (October 2019)

1. ... basement -- Continued work on/in it 2. ... sort/discard -- Discarded/gave away 22 5. ... Clean & reorganize garage &...