Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Women's Table

Had dinner tonight with four other women from the MLC Forum, and a friend of one of them -- an incredible group, all accomplished, intelligent, well-spoken, and funny.   We forum members traded "war stories", demonstrating that all of our stories are the same, and all of them are also different.  There is something so comforting and empowering about finding others who really get it (whatever your personal "it" may be).

A line from Marilyn French's book "The Women's Room" has stayed with me for decades: "Loneliness is a longing, not for company, but for kind."    In the face of all the change that has been forced on me in the past 3 years, I was fortunate to find the MLC forum and the people who were my "kind".  I truly do not know how I would have survived these times emotionally without the wisdom and shared experience of the members!    Though my priority is to look ahead, my past will always be a part of me and must sometimes be acknowledged.

One of my favorite quotes is from Dixie Carter: "It takes a mighty good man to be better than no man at all."   I had one once, but he's gone now and someone else (who I don't know and have no desire to know) occupies his form.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Progress report: Month 6 (October 2019)

1. ... basement -- Continued work on/in it 2. ... sort/discard -- Discarded/gave away 22 5. ... Clean & reorganize garage &...