Saturday, September 3, 2011

W.I.B.W.O. -- Leader-ender project

In April, I decided that I was ready to start a "leader-ender" project a la Bonnie Hunter.  "Leader-ender" projects integrate sewing the components into the process of doing your "regular" sewing.  I chose the "Bricks and Stepping Stones" pattern from her site since I already had 3.5" x 6.5" "bricks" cut from assorted scraps.  I cut a bunch of 2" squares from scrap white and scrap black and dark strips.   As I sewed along, I sewed one of each to made a two patch, then two two-patches to make a four-patch.

Pressed open the four-patches, and sewed each to a "brick."




 
Layout alternates the "matchsticks" (as Bonnie calls them) up and down.

Except, now I have a couple of problems:

a. The project is no longer happy being a leader-ender but wants to become a full-fledged quilt top!   Think I'll have to put some time aside to make it happy.

b. I need to choose and cut for another leader-ender pattern!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Unhappy blocks--now that is a problem!! But at least you get to start something new.

Pat said...

Very cool itchy blocks!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Your blocks have "Velveteen Rabbit Syndrome," where they want to be the REAL project. My leader-enders have always been prone to that.

Bobbi said...

Give in, go with it. Looks like it could be a real gem!