Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Taking a class with a friend

Spent Friday looking at the quilts, combined with a session of S.E.X. (that's Stash Enhancement EXpedition for the uninitiated) at the modestly-titled "Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza."   On Saturday, my friend Pat and I took a class with John Flynn who has his own method of making a Double Wedding Ring quilt.  The DWR demands attention, precision and respect because of the many pieces in the arc and the curves!    


When I signed up for the class, I knew I wanted to work with rainbow colors, in batiks because .... well, because I love clear, bright rainbow colors and batiks and had never used them in a project!    I spent a long time looking for the "right" background, since I wanted an "updated" DWR.  I had a FQ of a white with black "squiggles" (technical term) that I thought would be ideal.


However, nothing I could find in stores or online approximated what I thought I wanted.  I bought some white fabric with small black dots in case I continued to be unsuccessful.    Then, on our Saturday, Labor Day weekend Fabric Expedition to Berks County, I found this batik with pale gray dots spread out sort of topographically on a white background:



This seemed to be a good alternative and, now that I look at both choices, I much prefer it to the black squiggles.   The layout will be warm color circles intersecting with cool colored ones and four-patches in black and white. So this is what my DWR will look like...

... someday.

4 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics you chose. They will make a bright, happy, untraditional traditional quilt. You and I need to make a vow that we will at least work on our DWRs at least once a month. or maybe every 2 or 3. It was a great class, and even more fun because we took it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be very striking. I LIKE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi (I'm sorry I don't know your name...) - Even though I am a quilter (or a starter of many projects) and I also live in Pa (Jim Thorpe - above Allentown) - that is not how I found your blog (which I love by the way ; also greatly admire all those quilts you made/ are making) - I have found your blog through something else we unfortunately have in common - my youngest child (an 18 year old boy) has an eating disorder - I found your blog through reading comments on blog posts from "Laura's Soap Box" by way of NEDA . My son is now a freshman at a local Penn State campus (he commutes and lives at home - not doing well enough yet to be out on campus by himself). Anyhow, in addition to all of that, I am also a fellow Scorpio !! (I just thought that was funny when I saw that we have that in common too). Anyhow, I have a blog (my happy little escape from reality) and would love for you to come for a blog visit sometime @ htp://moonbeamsinajar.blogspot.com

    See you around the blogosphere!
    Mary Annne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Marsha! I've always wanted to make one. Your choice of fabrics is great, the Batiks remind me of the quilt you made for Dante.

    ReplyDelete

Progress report: Month 6 (October 2019)

1. ... basement -- Continued work on/in it 2. ... sort/discard -- Discarded/gave away 22 5. ... Clean & reorganize garage &...